Constipation is, in essence, one of the most common digestive issues occurring throughout the world. Around 2.5 million individuals are currently suffering from the same in the USA. This particular issue usually indicates dehydration of your body. However, in some cases, it can also be caused by a life-threatening underlying disease, such as colon cancer. Thus, having a thorough knowledge about it can be beneficial for you.
What is Constipation?
The issue of constipation usually occurs when you are having difficulty in emptying your bowel. It can be caused by dehydration, during which the food in your colon starts moving pretty slowly. The slower the food will move, the more water your colon will absorb from it. Thus, your feces will become much harder than usual.
Symptoms of Constipation
According to the best gastroenterologist in Delhi, some of the most common constipation symptoms are –
- Lesser than three bowel movements in a week
- The release of smaller yet harder stools
- Having trouble in making a bowel movement or straining
- Feeling bloated or nauseous.
- Going through a sense of incomplete bowel movement
Some other rarer constipation symptoms might include –
- A sudden loss of appetite
- Having lower abdominal pain
In most cases of constipation, at least three to four of these symptoms will undoubtedly occur. So, if you experience anything unusual at all, be sure to rush to your doctor as soon as possible. If you live somewhere in Delhi, then opting for Dr. Shri Ram Agarwal can be an ideal option for you. He is one of the most renowned gastroenterologists in the country and can help you in reversing your condition instantly!
Causes of Constipation
There are several issues, which can trigger the problem of constipation instantly. Some of the prominent ones are as follows.
- Some Specific Medications: The list of common constipation causes includes the overuse of certain medications. For example, opioid-based pain relief drugs and channel blockers can affect the natural working nature of your colon. This, in turn, can prompt constipation and cause hard, lumpy stools.
- Avoiding Fiber-enriched Foods: The consumption of fiber can promote your digestive system. Thus, it can stimulate proper bowel movements as well. However, if you are eating fiber-enriched foods, you will have to drink a lot of water. Otherwise, you might feel bloated after eating or before going to sleep. Some of the best high-fiber food modules include –
o Chickpeas, Lentils, and almost any other legumes
o Colorful vegetables and fruits
o Whole grains, such as rice and wheat
o Nuts, like almond
- Being Physically Inactive: Not performing any form of physical activity, such as walking, running, or anything else, can trigger the constipation symptoms as well. Some of the past research on this aspect has revealed that physically active people have better colon health. Thus, the movement of food through the organ occurs quite naturally as well. Due to this reason, they do not encounter the constipated experience at all. So, be sure to exercise for at least 30 to 40 minutes, almost daily.
- IBS: IBS, medically known as irritable bowel syndrome' is a condition of the intestine, which can cause severe constipation. It usually occurs due to the continuous consumption of trigger items, such as fast foods. Aside from being constipated, you can experience the following symptoms of the same as well –
o Bloating and abdominal distension
o Abdominal pain (especially in the lower section)
o Changes in the consistency or frequency of stool or bowel movement
With IBS, the consistency of your stool behavior can continuously fluctuate. If there is no sign of constipation available for the time being, then you might encounter loose stools along with diarrhea.
- Aging: Aging is considered to be one of the most prominent constipation causes as well. Due to aging, almost all of your organs' working capacity and capability tend to reduce massively. Thus, in older people, the food in their digestive tract tends to take quite some time to pass through. This issue becomes even more prominent if the patient usually does not drink enough water. However, according to the doctors, the issue of being constipated can occur among people due to other medical conditions as well.
- Not Using the Bathroom in the Proper Moment: Many people tend to ignore the natural urge of bowel movement, which might gradually go away on its own after a few moments. However, it is quite unhealthy for health and can cause constipation and increase the risk of fecal impaction.
Treatment of Constipation
The good thing about constipation is that it can resolve on its own within a few days. However, you can also quicken the process by avoiding the common constipation causes, such as being inactive, not drinking enough water, etc. In severe cases, you might also have to use a laxative. However, being reliant upon it can affect your health massively. So, it will be better for you to try and reverse it through natural remedies.
Constipation usually does not pose to be a threat to your health. But, it can affect your daily lifestyle massively. Thus, if you really cannot wait for the natural remedies to kick in, then be sure to opt for constipation treatment in Delhi. Be sure to undergo the whole procedure properly to get rid of the issue right away.